Aadhar is a 12 digit unique identification number valid throughout the country which opens up your identity. This aadhar card is often confused with citizenship and I would like to clear on this by quoting ‘It is a proof of identity, not a citizenship’. It is a combination of biometric information (photograph, Iris-scan, fingerprints) and demographic information (resident, address) that makes a unique identity for each Indian.
The world’s largest national identification number project initiated by the Indian Government established an authority called the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAN) on 28th of January 2009 which collects biometric and demographic data of individuals, stores them in a central database and issue Aadhar to each resident.
WHO ARE ELIGIBLE?
– A resident of India, NRI’s and even foreign citizens residing in India.
HOW TO APPLY?
Applying for Aadhar card requires you to take an appointment at the Aadhar enrollment centers. This can be done by two ways: Apply for appointment ONLINE or physically visit the enrollment centers.
Please note that one cannot apply for Aadhaar card online. You can only book your appointment for Enrollment for aadhaar card.
Applying Online for Booking Appointment
The procedure for applying online is simplified as
1. Go to https://resident.uidai.net.in/get-enroled and click on Locate Enrollment Centre
2. On the landing page, select your state, district, and locality to search for local Enrollment Centre. One can go to any Enrollment Centre across India for submitting the application.
3 .If you are from a National Population Registrar (NPR) state and don’t wish to enroll to Enrollment Centre on any of the UIDAI states, sorry but you can’t book your appointment ONLINE. The only way for you is to be physically present in the Centre. List of UIDAI and NPR states is shown as
4. To book an appointment, click https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/ .Once you clicked the link, you would land on this page.
5. Enter Details asked: Name, Mobile number, Email and No. of person (Maximum of 4 can be selected)
6. Select Enrollment Centre where you would like to visit for biometric information
7. Select date and time which suits you the best. After you select the date and time, it shows you the available vacancies for the appointment .if there is no vacancy available, select different time and date.
8. Enter the verification code as the captcha displayed on the screen
9. Hit “Fix Appointment” ad you will be provided with the token number which is to be taken to the Enrollment Centre with yourself
Note- With the facility provided by UIDAI, you can even re-schedule or cancel your appointment
After you have successfully booked your appointment, you need to visit specified Enrollment Centre
Visiting the Enrollment Centre
- While visiting the Enrollment Centre you must carry all the required documents
To prove your identity, you must carry one of these 18 PoI documents 1. Passport
2. PAN Card
3. Ration/ PDS Photo Card
4. Voter ID Card
5. Driving License
6. NREGS Job Card
7. Photo Bank ATM Card
8. Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
9. Government Photo ID Cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
11. Photo Credit Card
12. Pensioner Photo Card
13. Kissan Photo Passbook
14. CGHS / ECHS Photo Card
15. Freedom Fighter Photo Card
16. Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts
17. Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead 18. Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations.
3. To proof address, one must carry one of these 33 documents
- Bank Statement/ Passbook
- Voter ID Card
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Driving License
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Government Photo ID cards/ service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead 17. NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Kissan Passbook
- Freedom Fighter Card
- CGHS / ECHS Card
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
4. As a proof of relationship, following documents are accepted
1. PDS Card
2. MNREGA Job Card
3. CGHS/State Government/ECHS/ESIC Medical card
4. Pension Card
5. Valid Passport
6. Army Canteen Card
7. Birth Certificate issued by Registrar of Birth, Municipal Corporation and other notified local government bodies like Taluk, Tehsil etc.
8. Any other Central/State government issued family entitlement document.
4.At the enrollment Centre, your photograph, fingerprints and iris scans will be taken with the help of technology
5. This process generally takes 10-15 minutes. After success of these process, an acknowledgment slip or Enrollment slip will be provided to you which is very important checking the status of your aadhar card online and downloading it